Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Away with the Sickness Already!!

Right. I know I’m a huge Disturbed fan, but I am sorry…I am just not Down with this Sickness, other kinds perhaps, just not the kind that leaves me gasping for breath like a fish out of water. The good news is, I am feeling much better and quite possibly will have the energy to keep up with my blogging once again.

I was supposed to be speaking in a panel this afternoon about Sex and Gender for one of my professor friends, however she is sick and had to reschedule, so I’ll now be speaking on Monday at 3 in Springdale. Basically I just tell the class about myself and then answer questions, doesn’t seem that hard really. It’s pretty much the same thing I do almost every day on my blog, minus the question asking.

I have to say, there are several things that have been floating around in the media over the past couple of days that have really been bothering me.

The Boston marathon, it was beyond horrible what happened and I cannot begin to fathom why someone would do such a thing, but I would like to point out how the people of Boston came together in the wake of such a horrific tragedy. Despite the fact that someone with an askew moral compass ended several lives and forever changed the lives of countless others, the community pulled together to show love and support for one another. Everyone was human; nothing more, nothing less. It amazes me though, to think that something horrible has to happen for a community to band together so closely and help each other.

Sure there are people ranting about terrorists being responsible and I’m sure the media is covering this like a pack of ravenous hyenas closing in on a kill, but I refuse to give people that commit such atrocities my attention. Maybe, if the media did the same for any event this detrimental then “Going out in a blaze of glory” wouldn’t be the norm here in the United States.

Another thing that has really gotten up my ire is the UFC fighter Matt Mitrione who said some rather nasty things about a fellow UFC fighter Fallon Fox. Like myself, Ms. Fox is transgender except she’s an MtF. Some of the stuff this asshat said about Fox was just downright hatful and ignorant. Yes, it really pissed me off. Rather than attempt to understand a fellow athlete this guy opened his mouth and let stupidity spill forth. Seriously, about half of what he did say really didn’t make sense, it was like he was talking out of his ass, which is, in fact, probably far better looking than his face. I don’t think this dude can even fathom what changes actually happen when someone undergoes HRT, especially so when they have completely transitioned. Either way, I have to give major props to the UFC who have suspended this guy indefinitely. They were quoted as having said, “The UFC is a friend and ally of the LGBT community, and expects and requires all 450 of its athletes to treat others with dignity and respect.” Major, major props UFC. Maybe now I’ll buy some of the cool shirts you mass produce.

Maybe not.

Anyway.

It was really nice to see an organization like this come out in support of the LGBT community.

By the way, Fallon Fox, yeah she’s hot.

So, I’m off to start the day finally. Apartment is clean, I’m almost done with my tea and we need to hike up to Moped U and grab a new scooter. Which both Emily and I are super excited about. Neither one of us have ever owned a new vehicle.

While the Neon isn’t completely dead, it’s dead beyond what we can put into it because I’m not allowed to work on cars in the apartment parking lot, so this was really our best course of action. It’s though the blessing of my wonderful Momma (Emily’s mother) that we’re able to do this. So, we’re off.

No comments:

Post a Comment